Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Everything Happens For a Reason Part II

Due to the recent tragedy, I have began to do alot of reflecting on my job as a dispatcher. I have been a dispatcher since I was 19 years old and have always had pride in my job. I began wondering, due to the effect that this one call has had on me personally, am I "getting soft"? Will I be unable to do my job from now on without making it personal or becoming biased? Do I fear that I will panic in the line of duty and not be able to get the job done? My answer to myself was a quick, unhesitatant "NO". During my soul searching, I figured out alot about myself.

One of the reasons that I said "NO", is that I think things like this actually make you a better dispatcher...and person. One of the things that is not a requirement to be a dispatcher (but should be), is emphathy.

When I first began dispatching, it was honestly because I needed a job, and as a criminal justice major, what better part time job could there be? Over the years, I have found that I do love my job. I have also discovered that the older I get, and the more of my life I live, I have come to care more and more everyday. I've always said "the moment you stop caring about the people you serve is the moment you need to find another job", and this is more true now than ever.

This empathy is something that we all need to embrace, and though we need to use it responsibly and with caution, it needs to be a part of our everyday life. I think that this emotional tool is the defining factor between a "good dispatcher" and a "great dispatcher". Not saying I'm great, but I would love to be...and I see nothing wrong with this being my ultimate goal.

One thing that resulted from this tragedy, personally, is to make me look deep into myself and realize just how important my job (and of course my loved ones, no job could ever be more important that them) actually is. This is actually pretty easy to forget sometimes when you have people ridiculing you, cussing at you, and even the occasional threat on a daily basis. I hate with everything that no matter how good of a job that we or anyone else did, that the outcome of this tragedy wasn't different. I will however, remember them everytime I pick up that phone and realize that I must do the best job that I can do to try to prevent it from happening again. Everyone plays a part...

No comments:

Post a Comment